Saturday, January 27, 2018

Mike Shinoda - Post Traumatic EP


I always saw myself as a casual Linkin Park fan. They were one of the first bands I was really into, but also one of those bands I always found myself coming back to. While I respected each member for what they were, Mike Shinoda was always the member I was most interested in. His raps were some of the first raps I memorized, and practiced the flow over and over again. After the events six months ago, I like many, felt sorrow, pain and uncertainty of where the next step was going to take them.

Besides a heartwarming benefit show, the group has been understandably silent until today. Shinoda’s latest ep, Post Traumatic EP, is hard to listen to. With only 3 songs Shinoda finds a way to convey the pain, anger and sadness of losing not only a brother, but also the uncertainty of where to go from here.

These 3 tracks hold so much heart, it’s hard to not love them. But they also hold so much pain that it’s hard to repeat the listen. Each song begins with beautiful singing that is coming directly from Shinoda’s soul. Then followed by some of his hardest flows, that almost bring it back to the Fort Minor Days. This ep is deeply personal, and exactly what LP fans need at this time.

Shinoda proves that even at the lowest of moments, it’s not ok to continue, it’s a must to continue. And that it’s ok to live with your heart on your sleeve, because in the darkest of times, art and specifically music can bring you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment